Friday, August 21, 2009

Seguin's Palace

I love the predictability of the county seats in Texas! You pretty much can count on a town square layout with the county courthouse in the middle and surrounding businesses that include some "Mom and Pop" restaurants and usually an old movie theater from back when movie theaters were a little more special. Seguin is a county seat and I was glad to find the Palace theater only a block away from the courthouse!

Title: "Seguin's Palace"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: HDR from three hand held exposures using Photomatix Pro > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin

7 comments:

Larry said...

At first I didn't like the sun flare being in the picture. But the more I look at it the less I see it as a distraction. It does look as if the flare starts at the break in the clouds and I htink it helps enhance the sky and the scene in general.

Steve Schuenke said...

I spent many Wednesday evenings at the Palace for $1 movie night in the mid 80s. Did you happen to go by the Texas Theater ... south of the town square on the same street? I've seen that one used in some ad campaigns with the big neon vertical Texas marquee.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry and Steve!

Steve - No. I didn't see the Texas Theater. Sounds like I missed a good opportunity! :-( Now that my son has relocated to San Antonio I'll probably be passing through Seguin a lot and I should have opportunities in the future to shoot some more in the Seguin area. I'll put the Texas Theater on my hit list for my next visit (thanks for the tip!).

Cheers!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

Really cool shot.

Old theaters have a special feeling about them--like they are from a better time or maybe a simpler time. Yet, your treatment gives the theater an updated appearance. Good job.

Barry Armer said...

Thank you Patrick!

Cheers!
Barry

project 28: photography said...

Hi Barry! I was born & raised in Seguin. It's nice to see some photos of home as I rarely get back there anymore. They are all fantastic!

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Project 28!

I'm really glad you like them! In most towns its hard to find interesting subjects to shoot but I was happy with the photos I created in the hour or so I spent in Seguin. Could have used more time actually!

Cheers!
Barry