Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Doll House

Another shot from my trip to Seguin last Tuesday. A Sheriff that I talked to for a while (she approached me because she was interested in photography) pointed me in the direction of the Dietz Doll House. She told me that someone used to actually live in it. That makes a better story but information I found on the Internet pretty much indicated that the doll house was no more than a playhouse for one of Seguin's resident's children.

The information I found on the Internet is, in part, as follows: "The Dietz Doll House is one of the Seguin Conservation Society's most charming properties and like the others, comes with an intriguing history. It was built in 1910 by Louis Dietz for little Alice O'Brien, 5 years old, who had come to Seguin as an orphan train child."

Title: "The Doll House"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: HDR from three handheld exposures (-2, 0, +2) using Photomatix Pro > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin > Nik Viveza plugin > RPM Beautifier plugin

3 comments:

Larry J. Patrick said...

He's BACK!

Ok, I like the tree on the left, but I do not like it enough to show some of the modern building. That building just seems to break the whole mood that you established with the house and the ancient live oaks.

Could you have taken the photo from the left side rather than the middle or right?

Good use of HDR.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks for commenting Patrick!

I get the feeling (tell me if I'm wrong) that you really wouldn't have liked either the car parked in the background or the cell phone tower in the photo if I hadn't cloned them out? :-)

The location of this house lacks a lot to be desired from a photography perspective. The other side of the house has an even more industrial looking building in the background! Maybe I should have just copied the tree on the right, flipped it, and put it on the left in a portrait orientation composition? Something to try anyway.

Cheers!
Barry

Larry said...

I agree with Larry on the inclusion of the modern building. However I'm not sure there is much you could have done about it. A close of the building may have been an option but I think in that approach you might have had trouble conveying the small scale of the building. Nice post-processing.