Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sebastopal House

On my way back from San Antonio on Tuesday I stopped for about an hour in Seguin, Texas to see what images I could make in this small town I had never visited before. A local Sheriff pointed me in the direction of this historic building called Sebastopal House. Information from the historical marker says this Greek revival house was built in 1854-1856 of unreinforced load-bearing walls of cast-in-place limecrete (an early form of concrete). I really like this shot from the sidewalk approaching the from of the building, framed by the benches and trees in the foreground.

Tomorrow I hope to the finish work I started on a completely different take of this interesting historic structure.

Title: "Sebastopal House"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing tools: Photomatix Pro to combine three handheld images into one HDR image > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust Plugin

6 comments:

Larry said...

I agree - this is a really nice shot. The HDR treatment fits and the house looks like a great place to visit. The benches in front look like a great place to escape the heat and set a spell.

Larry J. Patrick said...

Fine, fine composition. The benches and the trees frame your subject perfectly and the use of HDR provides the details that make the house stand-out from the background. Good work.

Steve Schuenke said...

I went to college in Seguin ... please tell me you went to the town square and saw the statue of the world's largest pecan - a classic. Kim and I just got back from San Antonio on Tuesday and stopped at Luling City Market for some fantastic BBQ. There's something about small town Texas that is like nothing else. Nice job of capturing that.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry, Patrick and Steve!

Steve - Look for a post of said pecan later in the week! :-)

Cheers!
Barry

Anonymous said...

Mesquite trees and a country setting...you get my vote. This photo conjures up old memories of my grandparents place in Devine, TX. Also, I can just see and feel the hot summer day with the cicadas blasting away. I like the framing of the building with the trees and the benches.

DHaass

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Doug!

Sounds like I need to visit Devine next? :-)

Cheers!
Barry