Monday, August 10, 2009

Blue Light Pavilion

I went down to Galveston last night to see if I could find something to shoot. I didn't have any bites on my "fishing expedition" until I saw this pavilion on my way home. It is located on Broadway Ave on the grounds of one of the historic mansions (Ashton Villa I think) behind locked fences. I shot it from seven different vantage points with my camera resting on different fence posts (I had my tripod but the fence posts worked just as well). This shot was my favorite of the seven.

Title: "Blue Light Pavilion"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: Combined three exposures (-2, 0, +2 with camera resting on a post) into one HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo using Photomatix Pro > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust Plugin

5 comments:

Larry said...

I like that you shot it through the hedges. To me it looks as if your looking in on someones secret fantasy world. Good job.

Wayne Beck said...

I am not sure how I feel about the red and white lights around the edge of the image. I do like the blue in the center.

Cindi said...

This is great! I have tried shooting that pavilion during the day but the houses all around ruin the shot. You could try desaturating the reddish colors in the background to keep the viewer's eye on the pavilion. And wouldn't it be great to have a bride or an interesting model posing in there? I also like the hedges framing your shot.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry, Wayne and Cindi!

Larry - It does look a little fantastic. I did a triple take when I first spotted it.

Wayne - I can't decide about the other colors either. I kind of like having the bits of red on each side of the pavilion because the warm colors provide some balance to the cool colors.

Cindi - Good idea! Be on the look-out for a bride or model with good fence climbing abilities! :-)

Cheers!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

Nicely done.

Let me know the name of the model with the good fence climbing abilities, because I have a few places for him/her.

I really like the composition, but I wish there was a little less of the red building on the right side. I think that pulls my attention away from your main subject. Rather than cloning it out, I might consider using a strong vignette to tone-down and soften the colors somewhat.