Wednesday, September 17, 2008

More Wimberley HDRs, Hurricane Ike Update

These two shots were taken in the early morning at the Square in Wimberley, Texas while I was there hiding from Hurricane Ike! You really need to view the larger images to have a chance at appreciating them (clicking on the image brings up the larger file).


Click the image for a larger version!


Click the image for a larger version!

Both sets of photos were taken with my Canon 40D and Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom. HDR conversion of three photos each (-2, 0, +2) courtesy of Photomatix.

Hurricane Ike updates: 1) Most traffic signals are still not functional. The problem is worse the closer you get to the Gulf of Mexico but it is bad all over the Houston area. The problem is not just the lack of electricity...many of the traffic signals were literally blown apart by the winds associated with Ike. It adds adventure to driving around town :-) 2) It's dark at night! No big news flash there but in the city with major power outages you are sometimes reminded of driving in remote rural areas. It is a little surreal to see only the ghosts of usually brightly lit buildings. 3) Convoys - I see at least one everyday! On the way out of Houston, as Ike was approaching, we saw a convoy of perhaps 30 Texas Highway Patrol cars with their lights on heading toward Houston. It struck me because I don't think I have ever seen more than two together before. I assume there are a lot of Texas Highway Patrol cars out there but Texas is a big state and I think they are usually spread pretty thin. My first day back the convoy was electric company type vehicles (no idea how many but maybe 100 or more) and yesterday it was tree service type vehicles (maybe a dozen of the type trucks with lift buckets on top and other regular trucks with workers). All the convoys I have seen were heading in the direction of Galveston.

No comments: