Monday, September 8, 2008

Actor's Headshot

On Saturday, fellow Bay Area Photo Club member Robert Dempsey and I met to take an actor's headshot for my daughter Emma. We relied heavily on Bob's lighting gear and know-how to get the job done. Bob is an excellent photographer who excels in portraiture (see his work at www.dempseyphotos.com).

Following are the top to candidates for the official headshot. I would really appreciate any and all feedback I can get as to which shot you like better. Bob took one of the shots and I took the other!



Click on the image for a larger version!



Click on the image for a larger version!

Taken with three Photogenic StudioMax II strobes. Stobes located 6' to the model's right (camera left) at f/11, fill light located camera right at f/5.6, and background light located between the model and background facing the background.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the first shot! It is more like I am used to seeing Emma. The bottom image is so grown up looking!

OK, Bob needs to teach a lighting tutorial too.

And where did you get that cool new photo icon of YOU?

Cindi

Jan Klier said...

Hey Barry!

Those are nice clean shots.

I like the first one more, because it has more depth to it with the shadows around the hair at camera right. The second comes across a bit too 2-dimensional.

Good control of the reflections on the glasses, which can be really tricky.

I like the pose in the second picture, but I think that pose works better if it's not as tightly cropped, more like a 3/4 pose.

In a perfect world, on the first image I might have tried to rotate Emma body slightly into the camera. Her neck is almost at an uncomfortable angle, further accentuated by the eye rotation. Also for a female pose it's common to have the head cross the camera axis (just learned that myself in the last workshop).

Finally in the second photo, I would have put a bit more light on the background to improve separation, or have a hair light. That may have also helped with the dimension in that shot.

Anyway, there are no right/wrong answers. Sometimes you just have to play with these variables and see what works, and what fits your taste (and more importantly your client's taste).

Really cool though that you're constantly out there shooting. Look forward to Austin in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Jan

Anonymous said...

Dianne and I like them equally well.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks for your comments everyone! I took the photo with Emma wearing glasses and Bob took the other. I like both photos a lot. Your input will be utilized to help us make a final decision on which shot to use!

Cheers,
Barry

Anonymous said...

As a fellow headshot photographer. I would have to say that I think Emma now has two very strong different looking headshots to choose from for auditions.
I feel that diversity is really the key when getting headshots. It lets you pick the headshot that matches the role you are auditioning for.

______________
Kristina Sherk
Washington DC Headshots
Photo Retouching Blog

Barry Armer said...

Thank you for your comments Kristina! I think your solution of using both is perfect!
Regards,
Barry