Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Solstice Non-Event

I took this shot last night at Sylvan Rodriquez Park in Houston, TX. Supposedly at sunset the sun would be located directly between the two sets of monoliths in the photo. Did it work? It didn't look to me like it worked but the final answer could not be seen because the sun's descent was obscured at the penultimate moment by the line of trees you can see on the horizon. Based on the trajectory I witnessed it didn't seem like it worked. But then again, how could government engineering ever go wrong? I took a lot of shots (too many) last night and this was my favorite because of the shadows even though it wasn't closest to sunset. I'm not sure what trick of light caused the bright spot on the right hand side of the photo but to me it ended up looking almost like a second sun! I thought the cyanide monotone treatment added to an other-worldly look for the shot.

Title: "Summer Solstice Non-Event"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17/55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: Photomatix conversion to HDR image from three exposures (-2,0,+2) > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust to enhance contrast and reduce noise > Nik Viveza for local brightness adjustments > Virtual Photographer "Cyanide" preset

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That second spot almost looks like lens flare. Could that be possible? I like the look! Your sun looks a teeny tiny hot to me. Could you add a little texture to roughen up those hot spots and settle them down a bit? It's the first thing I see. Other than that, I like the look!

Larry said...

I like the shot and the post-processing. Who knows if the astronomical element worked or not? Maybe Tom Cruise could intrepret it with his witchcraft!

Cindi said...

Really neat image, as is. I really like the serendipty of that second bright spot. I don't know anything about this art installation, now I'll have to go see it for myself. The blue tone works great here, it gives the image an almost extra-terrestrial feel to me.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Shirley, Larry and Cindi!

Shirley - Not lens flare; I can rule that out from looking at the unprocessed original. It is some play of light and shadow.

Larry - I'm sure Tom would have a good explanation but I probably wouldn't understand it! :-)

Cindi - Serendipity is a good word for it! I would always rather be lucky than good! :-)

Cheers!
Barry

Captain Kimo said...

Very inspiring image. The composition and treatment of colors are excellent.

Barry Armer said...

Thank you Captain Kimo!
Cheers!
Barry