Thursday, August 7, 2008

Player Piano

My parents owned a player piano for many years. I remember my dad buying it and then working diligently to restore it to its proper working order. It is unbelievable how many moving parts make up one of these vintage player pianos. I don't have a photo of the actual piano. It was sold a while after my father passed away three years ago. My mother passed earlier this year and my siblings and I have been going through my parent's things to settle up the estate. This past weekend we were going through things from the attic and found several boxes full of the old piano rolls.



These piano rolls were in effect the "Cd's" for the player piano. Growing up we spent many hours sitting around the piano and singing these songs. The words to the songs are printed on the paper so as the music scrolls by (holes punched in the paper rolls) you could see the words go by as well (Karaoke ahead of its time!). These brought back great memories!

No comments: