Thursday, November 12, 2009

Longhorn Cavern Entrance

This is shot from just outside of the cave entrance at Longhorn Cavern State Park in Burnet, Texas. The entrance is below ground level where it appears that an original portion of the cave collapsed and left openings through which the surface can be viewed (and photographed!).

Title: "Longhorn Cavern Entrance"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: Photomatix Pro to combine three hand-held exposures (-2,0,+2) into one HDR (High Dynamic Range) image > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin

3 comments:

Cindi said...

Very nice! I like how the rock opening frames the view outside. Maybe including a spelunker would have given a sense of the scale of the opening, although the trees do that to a certain extent. This has a feeling of ancient history to me, like a dinosaur could pass by any minute.

Doug Haass said...

Good job dealing with the wide dynamic range through the use of HDR. It always amazes me how the original explorers of these caves had so little light to see by and methodically crawled through the seemingly impenetrable darkness.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Cindi and Doug!

This shot was taken from basically the same spot as the one I posted yesterday...just facing a different direction. I didn't even go into the cave this time (I've been there and done that and my photos inside any cave always disappoint) so I'm really happy I was able to get a couple of keepers just hanging around the entrance.

Cheers!
Barry