Thursday, October 30, 2008

National Museum of Funeral History

This past Saturday I visited the National Museum of Funeral History which happens to be in Houston. The museum has exhibits of many different antique hearses, both motorized and horse drawn, unusual caskets, a recreated turn of the century casket factory and many other funeral history related exhibits. Genevieve Keeney, the director of the museum gave me an advance tour of the upcoming exhibit of "Celebrating the Lives and Deaths of the Popes." I think you can tell from the photos I'll be posting over the next couple of days that the the exhibit is first class. Make sure you visit their website (www.nmfh.org) for more information if you are in the Houston area (around Bush International Airport) and are looking for a unique museum experience.

Title: "Outside St. Peters Square"


Camera / lens: Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: Photoshop CS3 > High Pass Sharpening > Merge Visible to New Layer > Topaz Adjust Plugin Spicify at 78% > Merge Visible to New Layer > Cloning to remove a front rope barracade > Merge Visible to New Layer > Distort Lens Correction Vignette

2 comments:

Brian Bastinelli said...

Wow Barry... I am really, well I don't know...

I think your images are great but I am well, weirded out, impressed, and curious all at the same time.

I don't know why because it makes perfect sense to me that there would be a museum of this type.

I mean funerals are a huge part of society.

I don't know why I would be weirded out yet part of me says...strange.

The remaining part says...when are we going.

Interesting.

Anyway I do enjoy this and tomorrows image...lol

It's tomorrow's because I didn't look yesterday (which is actually today for purposes of this comment).

So today I am looking at both and commenting on yesterdays, which again is 'today' for purposes of this comment...

LOL, I'm a dork, believe me I'm fully aware.

Looking forward to more of this series.

Oh, btw I also really liked the doctor shot yesterday (or was that 2 days ago?) I never would have thought about shooting an image at an appointment. Great idea.

Barry Armer said...

Hello Brian!
Good to hear from you! I thought it sounded unusual when I heard about the NMFH as well. I was at jury duty week before last and heard one of the other potential jurors mention it. I'm always looking for the next thing to photograph so I looked it up on the internet and paid them a visit! I really enjoyed it. Especially the old hearses!

I hope you guys are all doing well!
Barry