Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Spaghetti Warehouse

Taken this past weekend at the downtown Spaghetti Warehouse restaurant.

Title: "Spaghetti Warehouse"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: HDR from three exposures (-2,0,+2)with camera sitting on table using Photomatix Pro > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin to adjust overall contrast and sharpness > Filter Artistic Palette Knife with Layer Mask to selectively apply the effect > Distort Lens Correction Vignette > Transform Skew to alter the perspective from the 4:3 aspect to approximately 8 1/2 X 11

5 comments:

Larry said...

Nice shot. I like the painterly effect created by your post-processing. It give the shot a very nostalgic look. I really like the green in the duct work and stained glass light fixture. Since both are high in the shot I think it might be interesting to color the T-shirt of the boy seated in the foreground the same color. Just a thought, but good shot as it is also.

Anonymous said...

I like the effect. I'm wondering why you didn't apply it to the whole photo for more realism. It seems to me that it's only part finished.

DHaass

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry and Doug!

Larry - I like your idea of using the green to tie in the duct work. If I work on this photo any more I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Doug - My main objective of using the effect is to hide the identity of the children in the photo. I applied the effect with a layer mask so I could see if it would work to apply the effect in differing degrees throughout the photo without the change in intensity being a distraction. It was a fun experiment for me even if I was not completely successful.

Thank you both for your comments!
Barry

Anonymous said...

I think the photo was fine, but wanted you to take it all the way home with the effect.

Larry J. Patrick said...

This one is going to make me think--again, above my pay grade!

I like the fact that you are pushing a photo in a different direction, yet, I understand why DHaass wonders why you did only part of the image with the filter.

The basic image has some really fine composition based upon the camera angle that you used.

Good job.