Thursday, July 2, 2009

Phil

This is a shot I took of my boss while we were at lunch a while back. I like the lighting in the photo and the strong red color of the background but there is something about the composition that I can't exactly put my finger on that makes it really appealing to me. Maybe it's the contrast between youth (the young child in the drawing hanging on the wall) and age (the not so young subject (sorry Phil) sitting at the table)? Or maybe it’s about innocence versus wisdom? Whatever it is, I hope you enjoy the photo.

Title: "Phil"


Shot data: 1/250s f/2.8 at 18.0mm iso400
Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom

5 comments:

Larry J. Patrick said...

Three things make this image for me: the lighting on your boss, his relaxed pose which really makes it a very good environmental portrait and the picture on the wall.

I am bothered somewhat by the amount of negative space between your boss and the picture on the wall. If you are not opposed to changing the editorial content of the image, I would suggest moving the image on the wall down so that it was more behind him. I believe that would make the connection between the two faces even stronger.

Really good environmental portrait. Wish I had shot it.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Patrick!

I received the photo you modified in the way you described and it is a huge improvement! I knew the photo needed something and you nailed it!

Cheers!
Barry

Wayne Beck said...

I like images in which the people were not posed. You must have been on his level and not to far away to be at 18mm. Good image.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a photographer but there's a certain look in the eyes of the girl in the painting and your boss that is very similar, a concentration or earnestness, can't put my finger on it. It "connects" them somehow. One of my favorites. BJ

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Wayne and BJ!

Wayne - I was sitting across the table from Phil and just leaned back a little to take the photo.

BJ - It's one of my favs as well! Glad you like it!

Cheers!
Barry