Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hey Cupcake!

You can always count on seeing something interesting in Austin! This past weekend we spotted this business being run from a small Airstream trailer. I don't remember if it was the giant rotating cupcake on top or the "Hey Cupcake!" sign that first caught my attention but either way it struck me as funny in a "Keep Austin Weird" kind of way.

Title: "Hey Cupcake!"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: Photomatix to combine three handheld exposures (-2,0,+2) into one HDR image, Photoshop CS3 for contrast and color adjustments, Topaz Adjust plugin for contrast and sharpening adjustments

Based on feedback to yesterdays posting I did a little more Photoshop work on "Austin's Oasis". Mainly I leveled the horizon by partially rotating it (not too much because I wanted to limit the cropping I would have to do after the rotate operation) and then by using Transform Skew to raise the top right hand corner. I also brightened the image a little while I was working on it.

Title: "Austin's Oasis Redo"

5 comments:

Cindi said...

Now THAT is a use for a trailer that I have not seen before! But how were the cupcakes???
And the fix you did on the Oasis image made a great shot even better. That sea of umbrellas draws the eye even more, the less plain blue sky improved it and I really like the little edge of the restaurant building on the left, it seems to keep my eye in the image. Great fix!

Larry said...

Good job on both shots. Since the trailer is in Austin I will assume it was funded with a million dolloars or so as one of Obama's "shovel ready projects."

I like the changes on the "Oasis" shot, but don't give up on slanted horizons - even if Wayne says so. :)

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Cindi and Larry!

Cindi - Cupcakes good!!

Larry - I think someone told me they have three locations so the total would be 3 million! :-)

Cheers!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

I really like the Cupcake shot. I believe that the reflective nature of the trailer adds depth that you usually cannot get in most images. The colors also make this photo a real grabber.

Good shot.

Barry Armer said...

Thank you Patrick!

Cheers!
Barry