Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Rock-A-Bye Motel

I have been fascinated by this old motel located at one of the main crossroads in Luling, TX for years. If memory serves I have made other attempts to create a photo here without much success. This past Sunday I parked the car and walked around some and spent a little more time than I had in prior attempts. Not surprisingly I like the results this time. We all know that the greater the effort you put into a goal the greater the satisfaction you get when it turns out well... but sometimes we need a successful effort to remind us!

Title: "Rock-A-Bye Motel #1"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: HDR image from three handheld exposures (-2, 0, +2) combined with Photomatix Pro > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin

Title: "Rock-A-Bye Motel #2"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: HDR image from three handheld exposures (-2, 0, +2) combined with Photomatix Pro > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin

7 comments:

Brian Bastinelli said...

Hey Barry-

Cool images. I love old motels and especially the signs.

You did a nice job capturing these and your point about effort is spot on!

Have a great day!

Brian

Larry said...

Nice shots. I noticed this hotel my last trip through Luling but did not make the effort to stop. If I remember correctly there are no roofs in these buildings, only walls right?

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Brian and Larry!

Larry - I think the buildings all have roofs but I can't say the same for windows! :-)

Cheers!
Barry

Wayne Beck said...

In image number two, the two windows help give the building dimension but leaving the space on the left to be able to view the other building behind the office helps, also. I get the feeling that there is an yellow tint to the shot?

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Wayne!

I used the Color Burn blending mode in PS3 to achieve the contrast and tonality I wanted with both images. In my limited expereience, the Color Burn blending mode does tend to bring out more of the oranges and yellows than other modes.

Cheers!
Barry

Anonymous said...

Barry, do you use color burn on many images? Along with effort, emotion invested in the portrait also begets a better photo IMHO

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Shirley!

I hardly ever use the Color Burn blending mode. It is pretty much a sledgehammer of a tool. In these shots I think I used it with less than 50% opacity AND some masking.

Cheers!
Barry