Friday, February 19, 2010

St. John The Baptist Catholic Church

Taken a couple of weekends ago on a quick tour of some of the "Painted Churches of Texas". This one, St. John's, is located in Ammansville, Texas. I like this photo better as a monochrome photo. You can see the original shot (after HDR processing) if you hold your cursor over the image until it changes to a color photo.

Title: "St. John" (rollover)


Camera / Lens: Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 24-105mm L zoom
Post-processing: Photomatix Pro to combine three tripod based exposures (-2, 0, +2) into one HDR (High Dynamic Range) image > Photoshop CS4

6 comments:

Cindi said...

Very nice --- I like the warm black and white conversion a lot, and you did a fantastic job of removing that tree branch. Did you take any without the sign? I think it would be a great symmetrical shot from the center of the sidewalk and keeping the sign out of the frame, but this viewpoint is also great for identifying the church. You were so lucky to get that great sky!

Brian Bastinelli said...

Hey Barry-

Once again I completely agree with Cindi. I like this image, love the tone of the conversion and your photoshop work.

I too am wanting to see this from a straight on point of view. I think there is a lot you could do with it at that point.

Not that its bad now cause it's not.

I also have enjoyed the other church images. But I think this one could be my favorite...

Have a great day...

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Cindi and Brian!

I do have a full frontal shot. I'll post it next week some time.

Cheers!
Barry

Larry said...

Nice post-processing on the shot and I like the composition as well. I like how the church directors commissioned a sign with an angled top that matches the pitch of the churches roof.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry!

I think you hit on what I like most about this shot: the rhythm created between the lines of the sigh and the church roof.

Cheers!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

Your selection of sepia toning and the removal of the branch really makes this photo. Good job of making me step back in time.