Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Get Close!

This past weekend the photo club I belong to had a field trip to the Kemah Boardwalk and the Texas City Dike. It never fails that I look forward to our club's field trips with a very high level of anticipation. I imagine taking great photos that will change the world and make me rich and famous. It is no wonder that I usually end up being mostly disappointed when I return home and examine my day's shots on the computer screen. Howerver since I almost always learn something new and valuable about photography on the field trips and since I really enjoy the company of the other club members and the shared photography experience, I know at the end of the day I will be just as excited about the next field trip as I was the last.

On windy days the Texas City Dike is home to sailing, wind surfing, and kite boarding. Regardless of wind conditions there are always folks fishing, either wade fishing from the bay side of the dike or fishing from the bank on the ship channel side. Campers, swimmers, and picnickers round out the typical cast of characters.

I ended up with a lot of shots like these:




I'm happy enough with these two shots but on the vast majority of shots I took I either wasn't in a good position to shoot from in the first place or wasn't close enough. As a result I ended up with a lot of shots of people's backsides and of litte tiny figures in the distance. Sometimes I combined these mistakes and ended up with tiny shots of people's backsides. Oh well, next time I'll remember what I did wrong and hopefully correct for it.

Main lesson learned from the weekend: GET CLOSE

No comments: