Sunday, October 4, 2009

Carter Barber Shop

This image is of Carter Barber Shop in Luling, Texas. This has been a subject I have been wanting to shoot for a while and I finally took the time to stop and capture a few frames as we drove through Luling a few weekends ago. Like town squares and old movie theaters, these old barbershops are a big part of the personality of many small Texas towns.

Title: "Carter Barber Shop"


Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom
Post-processing: Photomatix Pro to convert three hand-held exposures (-2, 0, +2) into one High Dynamic Range (HDR) file > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin

7 comments:

Larry said...

Looks like a place you could go for a dose of interesting conversation with your haircut. Nice shot of Main Street USA.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry!

Looks like you like it for the same reasons I do.

Cheers!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

Simple scene done very well. I love photos like this where you see something ordinary and make it into something that people want to look at. Good job.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Patrick!

Glad you like it as much as me!

Cheers!
Barry

Anonymous said...

hi i was the barber there at the time of this photo. my father actually owns the shop but i was the barber there. thanks for posting the pic. yeah it has the old time feel, just a lot of good ol' folks in a small town. thanks, jessica

Yasmin said...

I recently moved from the Galveston area (Friendswood) to San Marcos. In the process leaving my old barber behind. I occasionally drive through Luling for work and spied this little gem. George is the current operator and as stated above there is always great conversation and "good ol' folk". I am not your "average" Luling-er (middle aged female with a buzz cut a tad on the eclectic side) but as far as comfort and ease I may as well be Aunt Bee. When my friends tell me it is time to go to Luling I know I need a haircut! Thanks for the pic.

Kayakbabe said...

looks like it is open again, who owns or is running it now?