Thursday, October 22, 2009

Boardwalk Bullet

One of the main attractions at the Kemah Boardwalk is the wooden roller coaster called the Boardwalk Bullet. I took this shot a couple of weekends ago. I threw a texture on top of the image (with a layer mask in Photoshop used to control where I wanted the texture and where I didn't) because the sky in the background was light gray with absolutely no interest. I don't experiment with textures much so hopefully I haven't been too heavy handed here. To me textures used this way can add depth and richness to a photo. Hope you like it!

Title: Boardwalk Bullet


Shot data: 1/640s f/6.3 at 100.0mm iso1250
Camera / Lens: Canon 40D / Canon 100-400mm L zoom
Post-processing: Adobe Camera Raw > Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin

4 comments:

Larry said...

Nice capture of a fun moment. Someone in the first car looks familiar. The only thing I might do different is crop a little tighter. Today is my day to crop-whip all bloggers! :)

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Larry!

I'm surprised you could recognize Emma through the look of terror on her face (she rode it again though)! :-)

Cheers!
Barry

Larry J. Patrick said...

This photo has impact and energy. Good expressions on many of the riders' faces. Also, think you did a great job managing your background. Nice work.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Patrick!

You might be interested to know that Emma and her fried bought the snapshot that is automatically taken of everyone while they are on the ride. I think they got two 5x7s and 4 wallets for $30! Maybe I need to quit my day job and build a roller coaster so I can cash in on photos?

Cheers!
Barry