Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cock-eyed Dock

This was my second entry for the Bay Area Photo Club's September 2009 Honors Night held this past Tuesday. This dock is located on Canyon Lake and, as with all the Texas hill country lakes, the ongoing drought in central Texas has caused the water level to be extremely low. This dock is supposed to be floating and the ramp in the photo is supposed to be roughly level with the upper landing (where I'm standing to take the photo) but instead the dock is partially resting on the bottom of the lake and the ramp is at about a 45 degree angle between the upper landing and the lower. This photo was given a Silver Award by BAPC's panel of judges.

Title: "Cock-eyed Dock"


Post-processing: Photoshop CS3 > Topaz Adjust plugin > Nik Viveza plugin > Virtual Photographer plugin

5 comments:

Larry J. Patrick said...

Crop-man is back!

I would like to see a version of this one in which you crop it barely outside the two rails leading down to the dock.

After we talked about this one, I can see what you mean about it not showing the drop down to the water. Maybe, a very low angle to the walkway and then a more level shot could do it. Not sure.

Good idea.

Cindi said...

I really liked this image Tuesday night, and I think it works well on 2 levels of "unusual perspective",(although maybe the camera could have been resting on the dock to seem to come from an even lower angle but I don't know if that would have shown the boat and the person)--- the physically low angle and the perspective of how a boat owner in Texas must be feeling with the drought. I was surprised the boat could even pull up to the dock at all. I think the wide angle you used is necessary to see the shoreline and really understand what the image is all about.

Cindi said...

I meant the camera could possibly have been resting on the RAMP, not down at the dock. But I bet you tried that and did not get the composition you wanted.

Larry said...

Nice shot Barry. I didn't really get a chance to look at it very closely at the club. I like it even better now that I can see some of the detail.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks Patrick, Cindi and Larry!

I like this composition the best out of about a dozen different shots I took. Looking back I probably should have taken two dozen to insure I got the one I wanted.

I really appreciate your feedback and I'll have your suggestions in mind the next time I take a similiar shot!

Cheers!
Barry