Monday, June 30, 2008

New Beginning

June 30, 2008

This seems as good a day as any to start a photo blog. I begin with the sincere hope that I will be inspired to blog in a way that entertains myself and possibly a few others along the way.

I am a photographer. Admittedly not a terribly skilled one at this point but I am "in the game" and I will stay "in the game" as long as I enjoy it. Hopefully improving my photographic skills (which to me really means improving my creativity as much as anything) as time goes by.

I am a photographer. I am also a husband. A father. A brother. A Christian. A political conservative. A patriot. And many many other things. It is my goal that this blog accurately reflects all the many different things that I am.

I will begin with a post of what I think is the best photo I have ever taken (drum roll please....):



"Hang Tight" - From the Gonzales County Jail Museum in (you guessed it) Gonzales, Texas (Dec 2007). It is my all-time favorite photo (so far). Why? Well largely because I went to this location (I had been there before) to try and capture the very surreal feeling of the place with this particular shot in mind. And I did it. During my first visit I didn't really have the correct equipment with me (no tripod or wide angle lens) and not surprisingly I wasn't at all happy with the photos I took. This photo and others from the same trip taught me a valuable lesson in perseverance. I already new the old adage "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again" but this was the first and most successful time I applied that childhood rule to photography.



Barry

5 comments:

Craig Tanner said...

Hi Barry,

This is such a strong image... stunning quality of light, a beautiful study of muted but dynamic color and a great juxtaposition of the a glowing, airy atmosphere with a heavy, haunting subject.

Congratulations on the start of the blog Barry. I hope this gives you a gazillion ways to say yes to yourself as an artist!.... Sincerely, Craig

Barry Armer said...

Thanks for the kind words on the photo Craig! And for the encouragement on the blog!
Barry

Steve said...

Barry,
Congrats on the blog. I love this entire series that I was fortunate enough to see. This is a great photo indeed and it will be hard to top but I am certain you will do it.

You are a photographer.

Barry Armer said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve!

slalomboy said...

Barry, this is a great photo! I look forward to seeing the rest of the series one day.

Marc